Skip to main content

Week 32: Treatment Complete

Yes, that's right. This past week I completed #33 of #33 daily radiation cycles. I can hardly believe it. Next stop reconstruction, but not for months yet.

Thanks again to our friends and family who have made such a difference in our lives. I feel that you were with us through this whole time.

I am ecstatic at having completed my treatment plan. However I, like many other cancer patients who have completed their treatments, feel unsure about the future. This past week has seen my sleep get all messed up again. I still have to assess the enormity of the past 8 months on my life, but that is on the agenda.

Mentally & emotionally- somewhat messed up.
Physically-getting stronger every day and healing with every day that goes by.

Round 1: TheNewMe-1, Cancer-0.


While I certainly hope and pray there is no next round, I am waiting. But not in the sense of sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. More like going about my life so that when or if that phone ever rings, I'll be ready to answer it.

Comments

Savi said…
Hi Sally,

Just wanted to say congratulations on completing your treatment! May you keep getting stronger, mentally and physically, every day.

Love,
Savi
Austin Trini said…
Thanks dear, I am certainly happy to leave treatment behind and start recovering :)
dimarco said…
Salina, so happy to hear you've completed the treatment! I miss seeing you at BV!

-DiMarco

Popular posts from this blog

I wish...

This post is my one rant to looking back (I've been told by my doctors not to), but I've justified it to myself by deciding if it makes one person make a different choice, then that's fine with me.  So now that I know what I know, what do I wish? I wish I understood that when a mammogram comes back negative, it does not necessarily mean that they examined all the tissue and they were able to see clearly that nothing was there (a true negative). It could also mean, they've looked and they cannot distinguish normal from tumour tissue (inconclusive).  So ladies, when the radiologist tells you "Ma'am you've got dense breasts", know that it means they can't see a darned thing. If you think something is going wrong, press for an alternative diagnostic tool or monitor yourself more closely in the coming months knowing that the mammogram you just had that said negative, really said, "We don't know".  Oh..and enlist the aid of a specialist ...

What is your 'bread & butter' conversation?

I am anxious to get back to the playgroups with my Moms group, and talk with some of the other moms because I want to know what they talk to their husbands about at the end of the day. If I were to truly tell my husband what goes on with my day? Well, the conversation would be inane and irrelevant. Gunnar: "How was your day honey?" Big smile. Me: "You know the usual. Lucas got up late this morning and was crabby because he didn't have enough time to play before breakfast and Liam pulled off my tiny earring, you know, the one I was so excited about getting because I thought he wouldn't notice it, and I could wear earrings again? Anyways, he pulled it off, and I grabbed it from him and set it down so I could deal with him appropriately, and I forgot about it, but when I went back to look for it I couldn't find it. It might have gotten wiped off the table when I was cleaning, so I spent part of the day sifting through the garbage looking for it, then I looked ...

Fitness Photo Shoot

Fitness after stage III breast cancer Plank on ball in silhouette Why a fitness shoot? I am not a fitness model, nor am I ripped like one, but I wanted to do a fitness shoot for a few different reasons: 1. As a reminder of how far I have come At the 5-year anniversary of my diagnosis of stage III breast cancer, it seemed a good time to remind myself how far I have come since I went through the trauma of diagnosis and treatment. That no matter how low I felt at the time, I came through it. Not all my sisters made it and many are still struggling today (shout out to my IV-leagers - those living with stage IV,  EVERY DAY). 2. As a reminder of how much the body can do It is a moment for me to acknowledge that while there are things I still cannot do, there are things I could not do when I first started lifting weights, that I can do now and THAT is amazing to me. When I first started weight lifting maybe I could do shoulder presses with 7.5 lbs, now I can do more t...