Skip to main content

Sometimes I forget

I took the boys to the swimming pool recently. Lucas had already changed and I decided to change out of my wet swimsuit at the last minute and joined my younger son in the changing room. I was about to whip off my swimsuit top when I remembered...wait, he hasn't seen my mastectomy scars. I can't actually let him see me. He was in the middle of speaking to me, so I turned slightly so my back was to him and then he edged around so that he was facing me again to continue speaking. So I turned slightly again and again he moved around so he was speaking directly to me, to my face. I eventually stopped and just listenend to him and changed after I let him out of the changing room.

 Sometimes I forget everything that's happened in the past year, but then I am reminded in small ways.



Comments

stressbug said…
Sweet Lucas never hesitated to speak to you. To see your face. To address you directly. Regardless of what's happened, you are his mother, his confidant, knowing you will listen.