I had a bilateral mastectomy. It is still not easy to look at the scars, but I am here and I am still able to enjoy time with my loved ones. Today I am taking the day off to be with my special guy - G. I thought I'd mix it up with a little tag cloud of what its been like in the year since.
This post is my one rant to looking back (I've been told by my doctors not to), but I've justified it to myself by deciding if it makes one person make a different choice, then that's fine with me. So now that I know what I know, what do I wish? I wish I understood that when a mammogram comes back negative, it does not necessarily mean that they examined all the tissue and they were able to see clearly that nothing was there (a true negative). It could also mean, they've looked and they cannot distinguish normal from tumour tissue (inconclusive). So ladies, when the radiologist tells you "Ma'am you've got dense breasts", know that it means they can't see a darned thing. If you think something is going wrong, press for an alternative diagnostic tool or monitor yourself more closely in the coming months knowing that the mammogram you just had that said negative, really said, "We don't know". Oh..and enlist the aid of a specialist ...
Comments
Love,
Savi
I'm working on it,but I tell you, drinking spinach gets tiring after a while!