Skip to main content

Do you read in colour?

And by colour I mean race. I am busy compiling a library for Lucas (poor Lucas) for when he gets older. One of the books I've picked which I loved, is the the second of a series, Dolphin Song by Lauren St. John. I read a review of this book, and the reviewer didn't give the book as good a rating as others did. One of his criticisms was that although the book was set in South Africa, the heroine was of European descent. "Would it have been so hard to make her African?" was his lament.

It made me stop and wonder. I never really consider race when I read (unless that is part of the plot). When I was growing up, I went up in a Wishing Chair and had adventures, I solved mysteries and had adventures (Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Famous Five, Secret Seven) I invented things and had adventures (Tom Swift). It didn't matter that the protagonists were Caucasian in all the books I read. When I read - it was me.

Perhaps because it was my multi-racial environment, but it never occurred to me that I couldn't be doing those things. It never occurred to me that there are children out there who need to have such explicit role models to help transport them and to help them visualize a life they may not otherwise feel is within reach. I felt totally oblivious and ignorant when I thought about that. In this way, my Trini upbringing was a plus I guess.

I tried to find out indirectly what Lucas imagines when he reads, and as best as I can tell, society hasn't handicapped him yet.

What is it like for your child?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wish...

This post is my one rant to looking back (I've been told by my doctors not to), but I've justified it to myself by deciding if it makes one person make a different choice, then that's fine with me.  So now that I know what I know, what do I wish? I wish I understood that when a mammogram comes back negative, it does not necessarily mean that they examined all the tissue and they were able to see clearly that nothing was there (a true negative). It could also mean, they've looked and they cannot distinguish normal from tumour tissue (inconclusive).  So ladies, when the radiologist tells you "Ma'am you've got dense breasts", know that it means they can't see a darned thing. If you think something is going wrong, press for an alternative diagnostic tool or monitor yourself more closely in the coming months knowing that the mammogram you just had that said negative, really said, "We don't know".  Oh..and enlist the aid of a specialist ...

What is your 'bread & butter' conversation?

I am anxious to get back to the playgroups with my Moms group, and talk with some of the other moms because I want to know what they talk to their husbands about at the end of the day. If I were to truly tell my husband what goes on with my day? Well, the conversation would be inane and irrelevant. Gunnar: "How was your day honey?" Big smile. Me: "You know the usual. Lucas got up late this morning and was crabby because he didn't have enough time to play before breakfast and Liam pulled off my tiny earring, you know, the one I was so excited about getting because I thought he wouldn't notice it, and I could wear earrings again? Anyways, he pulled it off, and I grabbed it from him and set it down so I could deal with him appropriately, and I forgot about it, but when I went back to look for it I couldn't find it. It might have gotten wiped off the table when I was cleaning, so I spent part of the day sifting through the garbage looking for it, then I looked ...

Fitness Photo Shoot

Fitness after stage III breast cancer Plank on ball in silhouette Why a fitness shoot? I am not a fitness model, nor am I ripped like one, but I wanted to do a fitness shoot for a few different reasons: 1. As a reminder of how far I have come At the 5-year anniversary of my diagnosis of stage III breast cancer, it seemed a good time to remind myself how far I have come since I went through the trauma of diagnosis and treatment. That no matter how low I felt at the time, I came through it. Not all my sisters made it and many are still struggling today (shout out to my IV-leagers - those living with stage IV,  EVERY DAY). 2. As a reminder of how much the body can do It is a moment for me to acknowledge that while there are things I still cannot do, there are things I could not do when I first started lifting weights, that I can do now and THAT is amazing to me. When I first started weight lifting maybe I could do shoulder presses with 7.5 lbs, now I can do more t...